Three And Easy For Liverpool As Reds Coast Past Newcastle United

Liverpool closed the gap on league leaders Manchester United to 3 points with a straight forward win over floundering Newcastle United.

Two first half goals from Yossi Benayoun and Dirk Kuyt as well as a third from Lucas Leiva were enough to see a dominant Liverpool side thrash a lacklustre Newcastle United.

Stephen Gerrard made early inroads into the Newcastle defence in the first minute, skinning Fabricio Coloccini on the left flank and driving into the penalty area. The English international collided with Nicky Butt and went down, but the referee waved play on and Newcastle cleared.

Newcastle were willing to attack the home side as well, Obafemi Martins linked up well with Mark Viduka, exchanging passes and releasing the Nigerian down the right flank. His cross was poor and overshot the box and the chance was wasted.

Gerrard charged at the Newcastle defence in the 13th minute and was brought down by Coloccini 30 yards from goal. The Liverpudlian native stepped up to take the free-kick himself and unleased a curling drive towards the bottom right hand corner of the goal. Keeper Steve Harper saw it all the way and got down well to make the save.

Liverpool broke on the counter against Newcastle and Gerrard picked up the ball 40 yards from goal, he was invited to shoot by the defence who backed off the Liverpool captain. Gerrard obliged and his rasping effort was palmed wide by Harper, stretching low to his right to save.

Kuyt attacked down the right, attempting to cross into the box but it was over hit and went to the opposite flank. Picked up by Albert Riera, the Spanish international whipped in a better cross and it was met by the advancing Kuyt at the back post. The Dutchman connected strongly and powered his header wide of the left hand post.

At the other end, Peter Lovenkrands was slotted through by Joey Barton into the Liverpool penalty area. The Dane rounded the keeper but his left footed shot was feeble effort and intercepted by Alvaro Aberloa on the goal line.

Liverpool attacked from the right, Arbeloa crossed into the box and Alan Smith failed to clear on the edge of the six yard box. Kuyt knicks in, stealing the ball, and drills ball across the goal line from the right, Benayoun taps home via his left knee at the back post into the open goal. 1-0 to Liverpool with 22minutes played.

Riera crossed in from the left flank to Benayoun in the middle, the Israeli international controlled beautifully eight yards from goal and showed wonderful footwork to beat three men before releasing a strong strike low to Harper's right. The keeper did well to get down and save but Benayoun had been ruled offside anyway.

Gerrard took a corner from the left and launched the ball into the middle of the area. Kuyt lost his marker and met the cross with a diving header into six yard box, smashing the ball past the hapless Harper, 2-0 to Liverpool.

After an extended period of possession Xabi Alonso picked the ball up 25 yards from goal. The Spaniard was given time to steady himself and he took the opportunity to shoot, curling a wonderful effort towards the top right hand corner. Harper was a spectator as the ball crashed against the woodwork and bounced out to safety.

Daniel Agger picked up the ball on the left flank, advancing towards goal unchallenged. The Danish defender unleased a powerful drive with his left foot towards the far corner, his effort curled viscously and Harper did well to save to his left.

The second half saw the introduction of Jonas Gutierrez, replacing Lovenkrands on the left, but it didn't stem the tide towards the Newcastle goal. Sebastien Bassong cleared weakly with a header and the ball fell to Gerrard on the left, he drove into the box and hit a zipping shot towards the far corner, his effort was off target.

Liverpool were willing to spring on the counter, on the hour mark Benayoun picked the ball up on the right wing and dribbled in field. Spotting Gerrard unmarked in the centre the Israeli cut the ball back to his skipper and Gerrard struck a solid effort wide of the left hand post.

Benayoun showed good trickery on the right, entering the box and heading for the goal line. Jinking past his marker the Israeli pulled the ball back across the box and found Alonso on the 18 yard line. The Spaniard squared for Javier Mascherano who hit across the ball first time, sending his shot wide of the left hand post.

Mascherano was involved again, showing neat footwork to dodge past his marker in the middle and slotted the ball cooly into the box. His team-mates weren't on the same wavelength and the ball trickled through to Harper in the Newcastle goal.

Alonso was given another opportunity to shoot from range, controlling the ball as it came across his body and duly rattled the crossbar with a right footed effort for the second time in the afternoon.

Liverpool were increasingly dominant, Gerrard found himself alone in the penalty area 10 yards from goal. The captain had time to control and sent his effort wide of the left hand post.

Barton was dismissed in the 77th minute, Alonso picked the ball up beside the corner flag and the Newcastle midfielder lunged into a reckless and needless challenge. The Spanish international couldn't continue and was stretchered off as a result of the tackle, he was replaced by Lucas Leiva.

The Brazilian didn't take long to make an impact. Liverpool won a free-kick on the right flank and Fabio Aureilo floated the ball into the box. Lucas coasted into the box, unmarked, and headed home a simple opportunity into the near post. 3-0 to Liverpool.

Gerrard completed a hat-trick of woodwork collisions, rattling the crossbar with a curling effort from 25 yards just before the final whistle.

Owen Watson,

0 tukang kipas:

Related Posts with Thumbnails